[wsfii-discuss] Do your country's Telco Regs help or hinder community networks?

Simon Knight simon.knight at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 09:44:42 UTC 2007

Heh, saw the subject  and though "that sounds about spot on". Then saw
it was from Australia...

Unfortunately the Australian Federal Government's backwards attitude
to telecommunications isn't just limited to community wireless. We
have all experienced the ongoing issues with our monopolistic
(formerly government owned) telecommunications giant.
And now the saga with the government botching up the fund to subsidise
Internet access for rural and regional customers (which does affect
the company I work for).

For those who have responded, how central is providing Internet access
to your local community wireless network?

Here in Adelaide, Internet access isn't a very big focus of the
network, however our member base is largely technically minded (and so
prefer their own Internet connection anyway).

Cheers
Simon