[wsfii-discuss] Do your country's Telco Regs help or hindercommunity networks?

Ramon Roca ramon.roca at guifi.net
Tue Mar 20 10:16:37 UTC 2007

Don't think all us us at guifi.net have broadband access. I understand
that Internet Access should be taken from somewhere.
At guifi we're also using the neutral network to provide bradband in
rurals areas where it isn't by enabling the people in those areas to
access to places where internet acces are available. That's still my
personal case although I'm in Europe... and that's and how why we built
more than 2K kms of links...

To avoid becoming an ISP given and the related difficulties, what about if
the users share internet access instead of paying a fee to a "reseller"
ISP, that is, they pay directly that fee to the provider? Or you are able
to provide Internet Access by yourself at better costs that if they buy
the access directly?

The big point is to avoid the figure of becoming an network operator by
squeezing an owned network and renting it, by simply help people to build
and maintain their own neutral networks.

You just have to split the user expenses in two: One will go directly to
the real ISP, and the other, to the maintainers for labour and materials.

This is how we are running here.

Just trying explain that there is alternative ideas/formulas :), of course
everybody is free to choose.