[wsfii-discuss] Do your country's Telco Regs help or hinder community networks?

Hitesh Shetty hitesh.p.shetty at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 17:18:05 UTC 2007

Hello Everyone,

My two cents on the issue

While surfing I came across this snippet:
http://www.dcita.gov.au/communications_for_business/news_and_events/australian_broadband_guarantee

This article says that the The Prime Minister and the Minister for
Communications, Information Technology and the Arts, Australia
announced the Australian Broadband Guarantee on 7 March 2007.

Although the article makes reference that only ISP's are eligible to
apply under this scheme. However it looks like the costs can be wholly
or substantially recovered. (its a gray area and further comments
would be appreciated).

Can it be possible to create a community network under this scheme
under the flagship of Melbourne Wireless as an ISP that way the
government authorities would allow setting up a community Wi-Fi
network under the "broadband for all" scheme.

In this manner Melbourne Wireless would have to apply for an ISP
license and can also recover and cover their costs while remaining an
independent entity and creating a Community Network.

Feedback would be appreciated. :)

Regards
Hitesh Shetty