[wsfii-discuss] Do your country's Telco Regs help or hinder community networks?

Daniel Paufler d.paufler at fhtw-berlin.de
Thu Mar 22 12:04:39 UTC 2007

Hey Thomas

> I think that by neutral network you mean something like just
> interconnecting individuals and building a "backbone", that is suitable
> when you have individuals having internet connection and wanting to
> build a "citizen network", but here we have very few people having
> Internet at homes because the cost to install internet is very expensive
> : 500USd for installation equipment and 120USd monthly fees.
> So our plan is to reduce that amount and make people able to install for
> the cost of hardware and pay between 20 and 40 USD for a month just to
> pay Internet bandwidth, maintenance, salaries ....
Not having the same difficulties in Berlin as you have in Kongo with
expenses of internet access, we dont centralize the cost-sharing.
This means, the few individuals pay their lines for themself, and have
private agreements with some users of the "civil network" to use their
line. This can be done with VPN for instance, giving the line-owner
control who ... bla. See my point.

My suggestion is to keep the "operator non profit" out of the service
discussion (internet, webservers, fileservices). I think Ramon goes in
the same direction.

Regards

Daniel

--
Angewandte Informatik - Computer Aided Facility Managemnt
FHTW Berlin (http://www.fhtw-berlin.de)