[wsfii-discuss] Video Conferencing Demo to Nepali Leaders

mahabir at himanchal.org mahabir at himanchal.org
Mon Mar 26 03:30:23 UTC 2007

Hello All;

Yesterday I have had a successful video conferencing demo to the members
of parliament at the conference hall of Minisitry of Information and
Communication. The Minister, members of parliaments, and government
officers were there. 24 of them were the MPs from different parties.

They were very much impressed with the video conferencing. The purpose was
to tell the government how useful the VSAT technology can be to reach
remote areas for telemedicine, teleteaching and training purposes. Right
now we are lobbying to make the VSAT user license free because we have to
pay USD3,500 for VSAT license fee, plus Rs.1,500 for video conferencing
license. Moreover, we are asking the government to bring down license fee
for setting up ISPs in the rural areas to USD1

Dr. Mingma Sherpa from the Ministry of Health gave presentaton about how
telemedicine program can be done. He also informed about the government
plan for setting up telemedicine programs in the remote areas of Nepal.

We used VSAT with KU band at 384/384 kbps rate using Vega Pro camera.

I have found that direct intereaction like this will be useful to convince
the policy makers. Ihope that the government will make liberal laws for
the advancement of ICT in Nepal.

Thanks.

Mahabir