[wsfii-discuss] batman license (Was: funding supernodes)

Axel Neumann axel at open-mesh.net
Fri Nov 2 10:53:46 UTC 2007

Hello,

On Donnerstag 01 November 2007, Alexander Morlang wrote:
> Daniel Mullen schrieb:
> > I stand corrected, the notice now reads:
> >
> > "This work shall be used for non-military and non-surveillance purposes
> > only."

This is a statement!

We are mainly focusing on non-commercial and free community networks
initiatives. We do not want to support any sorts of trendy security paranoia,
military usage, nor (as mentioned earlyer) these Big Brother eyes in any
public/private areas.
Unfortunately, i am not aware of any license which really takes care of this
aspect or even allows legal enforcement.

BTW: The GPU project has once raised a few discussions with
their "non-military license" initiative. Seems to be not easy.
http://www.nabble.com/non-military-use-license-t2960016.html
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=236549&page=7

> > - not quite GPL.
>
> in this case, it is a copyright breach of GPL, as stated in
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ModifyGPL as any modification
> is not allowed to be called GNU.
>
> > Still this leaves it quite unusable when many customers on the
> > commercial side, who are not ISPs already, deploy these things for
> > remote monitoring of some sort. Even a fish farm in Norway would not be
> > allowed to monitor their ponds.
>
> ether it has no licence or the restricion is not valid.

All documents/code on open-mesh.net are licensed individually and define this
with its header of footer.
Generally, most of the source code (BATMAN) is licensed under GPL, so it
allows commercial usage...
Most of the documents as well as the content of the web-pages is licensed
under CC by-nc-sa. This license does not allow commercial usage.

ciao,
axel