[wsfii-discuss] batman license (Was: funding supernodes)

Joe Bowser bowserj at uselessdegree.net
Fri Nov 2 15:05:07 UTC 2007

Axel Neumann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Donnerstag 01 November 2007, Alexander Morlang wrote:
>
>> Daniel Mullen schrieb:
>>
>>> I stand corrected, the notice now reads:
>>>
>>> "This work shall be used for non-military and non-surveillance purposes
>>> only."
>>>

> This is a statement!
>
> We are mainly focusing on non-commercial and free community networks
> initiatives. We do not want to support any sorts of trendy security paranoia,
> military usage, nor (as mentioned earlyer) these Big Brother eyes in any
> public/private areas.
> Unfortunately, i am not aware of any license which really takes care of this
> aspect or even allows legal enforcement.

Unfortunately, I don't think that there is any Free License that does
this, but I know that HESSLA
(http://www.hacktivismo.com/about/hessla.php) does prevent people who
abuse Human Rights from doing this.  I don't think this is really
legally enforcable, but it may be more-so than "No Military".  However,
I do know that the FSF doesn't consider any of these conditions free
licenses.

On the other hand, if someone was using it for military or surveillance
purposes, how much would you bet that they aren't sharing source code!

Joe