[wsfii-discuss] fon/meraki/community meshes differentiated .. (was: Re: Fwd: wireless connectivity.. Is802.11n the end of ethernet?)

Juergen Neumann j.neumann at ergomedia.de
Tue Oct 2 09:55:51 UTC 2007

Hi Vickram and all,

> The real point is, are any commercial manufacturers making
> flashable routers/APs that are suitable for meshes, at price
> points where the FONs and Merakis of the world have a run for
> their money?

I totally agree on that! I have been thinking about this problem for some years now and ended up with the idea to directly address this issue to the hardware-manufacturers. I am just in the planning for a conference which will be held in Paris in the middle of December where we will invite many of them and have a face-to-face talk on this issue. A first step on this road was during the last European WSFII at guifi.net in Spain http://wiki.freifunk.net/OpenHardware. I will soon come up with more details and infos on that. I know that there is a growing number of people out there who share our thoughts and I really think the time has come to make it happen soon!

Kindly,

Juergen