[wsfii-discuss] [AirJaldi-Summit] Cell Phone Mesh?

Vickram Crishna v1clist at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 6 05:34:22 UTC 2008

How about using open-source software based GSM switches on PCs as 'range extenders' for areas where cell-phone coverage is weak/unavailable/uneconomical? Perhaps an appropriate addition to existing ITU resolutions/recommendations on the use of GSM (900/1800 MHz/+?) by member countries would put this into an acceptable framework.

Alternatively, if the software can be ported to Symbian/ME, perhaps standalone cellphones can themselves be tweaked to act as mesh nodes. Has any work been done in this area? Do the energy requirements make this impractical?

Vickram
http://communicall.wordpress.com
http://vvcrishna.wordpress.com