[wsfii-discuss] Announcing ISC4WN Opening Plenary Speakers

Sascha Meinrath sascha at aya.yale.edu
Tue Apr 22 18:44:40 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

The International Summit for Community Wireless Networks (IS4CWN) is shaping up
to be a great event.  We've received confirmation on our opening keynote
speakers and I thought they might interest folks.

--Sascha

***

IS4CWN is pleased to announce our opening plenary session will feature
Amir A. Dossal, Executive Director of the UN Fund for International
Partnerships and Agnes Callamard, Executive Director of Article 19.

Amir A. Dossal, guides the development of strategic alliances for the
United Nations with corporations, foundations and philanthropists aimed
at achieving the Millennium Development Goals.  He also oversees the
management of the UN Democracy Fund (www.un.org/democracyfund) which
aims to strengthen democratic institutions and enhance democratic
governance in new or restored democracies.  Amir has developed numerous
partnerships for the United Nations, including with the Commonwealth
Business Council, the European Foundation Centre, Google.org, the LTB
Foundation, the Synergos Institute, the US Chamber of Commerce, and
others. He has also spearheaded the UN's engagement in new areas
including the technology sector working with Cisco Systems, Ericsson,
Microsoft and Vodafone.

Dr. Agnès Callamard is the executive director of ARTICLE XIX, an
international human rights organization specializing on freedom of
expression and freedom of information. Agnès Callamard has evolved a
distinguished career in human rights and humanitarian work. She is a
former Chef de Cabinet for the Secretary General of Amnesty
International, and as the organization’s Research Policy Coordinator,
she led Amnesty’s work on women’s human rights. Agnès has conducted
human rights investigations, including on violence against women, in a
large number of countries in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East. She has
founded and led HAP International (the Humanitarian Accountability
Partnership) where she oversaw field trials in Afghanistan, Cambodia and
Sierra Leone and created the first international self-regulatory body
for humanitarian agencies committed to strengthening accountability to
disaster-affected populations

More information at: www.wirelesssummit.org