[wsfii-discuss] Freddy invites you to join Zorpia

jeff buderer jeff at onevillagefoundation.org
Tue Apr 29 14:56:13 UTC 2008

Dear All,

I think we have exposed something significant here.

Connecting to the Wireless and Community Wireless (trying to link our
topic with the wsfii discussion group) is the idea that we need
alternatives to these online corporate systems that seem often very
antithetical to our values (we might also consider our values as some
struggle to get wsfii.org back up and also about any plans to update the
site).

I would like to consider openly some of the issues and concerns that we
have with people controlling and developing these companies and also the
fact that their values seem more like the old model of domination and
control cloaked in the PR friendly aura of liberal democracy than as
envisioned by net pioneers such as Tim Berners Lee, Doug Engelbart, Tim
Leary and Steve Wozinak who saw the internet and personal computing age
as ushering a bold new age for the use of technology to truly empower
humanity. Increasingly these social networking site are becoming an
extension of our social lives and yet it seems we are conferring an
corporation or handful of corporations an unprecedented degree of power
- where is the accountability?

I dont think I am unique in seeing a power struggle in play now between
grassroots networks like wsfii and those who appear to have mindset that
is "accumulation and status oriented." It seems they are in a race to
accumulate things. Through their mastery of the "game of global
capitalism," they now disproportionately control the global economy and
its media, financial, governance and production systems.

The battle or struggle is over whether we will make the internet as it
was envisioned; a tool for participatory governance and personal
empowerment at the community level pushing back corporate centralization
or it is relegated to simply another top down driven technology that
further extends the grip of the establishment power structure into our
lives, while further reducing our real autonomy as human beings.

I dont want to sound too grandiose but I really feel we are at the
crossroads...Right now...

What we do at this point in history will determine the kind of future
the coming generations will face.

Jeff Buderer