[wsfii-discuss] Battle for Barcelona

Ramon Roca ramon.roca at guifi.net
Wed Jul 23 07:17:54 UTC 2008

We do use intensively 2.4 (13 overlapped channels) and 5GHz (19 non
overlapped channels!!!)  bands intensively outdoors. Regulation is not
that clear about outdoor usage, so when there are doubts, we do simply
use it intensively, and therefore "de facto" we do open the spectrum to
any unlicensed band, that's not a concern right now and there is no
discussion here. The fact is when there is an open network, is not that
easy to distinguish if is for commercial use or not (professionals and
SME can also use open networks for their private needs). I would suggest
you to review German regulations on this, because on urban areas, the
usage of 5GHz as open spectrum at the backbone level I would say that is
strategic given the few and noisy channels available at 2.4GHz, often
there are obsolete regulations about that, coming from the 20th century
(i.e. previous to the wireless communications becoming affordable to the
general public, and previous to the 2002 EU directives).
In general, I would suggest to double check the regulations followed in
all EU countries after the EU 2002 "Telecomms package", in particular,
the 2002/20, since there clearly states that the countries can't longer
provide individual authorizations for being granted for data
telecommunications, and substitute this by general authorizations, which
in the non licensed spectrum means general usage, and therefore includes
community/open networks, because if not, that means that could mean that
the country regulation is still protecting some traditional operators
for being dominant against newcomers or a truly free competition/general
usage. About outdoor usage of the non-licensed band, if the usage is not
neutral, that could mean a privatization of a public domain, which of
course could be questioned, no question that outdoor is public while
indoor could be considered as private.

Yes, I know about many communities within the EU you mention. In
particular I was also on Athens some time ago, great job. But now we're
not looking just for community/open networks directory or list, we want
to find those who have actively have cooperated with administrations at
any scale, we just know about our case, and maybe Barcelona officials
are right in terms that we are an exception within the EU doing so?

I'm very sad to hear what you mention about politician support for a
private but free (as in beer) network... We face (and fight) this model
and that's why I'm saying "battle". Open Network for us is, like the
internet original idea, a network build from many actors who agree to
connect between them, so there is no single operator/owner who take
control over what you can transfer or not over the network, which is
different from just having non encrypted spectrum of free internet
access. On the other hand, this common usage is about common sense if we
talk about an spectrum available to everybody. This civilian
multiple/owned schema has to include everybody: individuals,
communities, enterprises and administrations (if we exclude somebody, is
not longer open). Cities around the world have no other option than
build their city owned networks, so the goal is include those
infrastructures withing the open networks, instead of franchising them
to private operators or making them for private only usage, that is,
city owned network which extends open networks, not compete against, or
imposing single franchisers/dominant monopoly. To support this we can
also mention the big failures of many franchised models operated privately.

The key is that the network as a whole  can't have ownership (or a
single ownership). Those concepts are which we are vertebrating through
guifi.net, and I have no idea of how will end this Barcelona chapter (in
fact started with the wrong perspective from our point of view), but at
least we are using that to gain some support from some politicians.

About from where this funding is coming from, is not Google in this
case, supposedly have to come from the city itself, but I do suspect
that they can even plan to get funds from the EU...

Interesting thoughts! let me share at the list! ;)

Ramon.

En/na ulf kypke ha escrit: