[wsfii-discuss] Spammers appear to have hacked into wsfii site

jeff buderer jeff at onevillagefoundation.org
Mon Oct 27 03:56:55 UTC 2008

Vickram,

I have similar issues with the site I maintain at
www.opendigitalvillage.net

With a lot of effort recently expended to go back and change the setting
on the edit (to roll the page back to its prespammed condition) doc
every time a "bot"spammed the site.

Finally I went to wikimedia's site and found out how to change the
settings so that only people who register can edit.

That is another layer of protection but in this situation it is probably
not enough because it is real people who are doing the spamming.

Thus youll have to set up the system so that only people with
authorization to blog can blog.

Another option which is not so severe is to remove access only for those
IP addresses that are spamming.

And to also have notifications to the sysop when people are modifying
the site.

Jeff