[wsfii-discuss] wsfii-discuss Digest, Vol 44, Issue 11

Richard MacKinnon rich at lessnetworks.com
Thu Oct 30 15:13:35 UTC 2008

Agreed.  We keep lots of stats on usage.  We're about to record our
two-millionth connection.  It took nearly 4 years to record the first
million, and just under a year to record the second.  We also have over
250,000 registered users with confirmed email addresses.  Other stats
include user demographics (voluntary), time of day, connections per
user, most popular hotspot, etc.  Also thanks to connection log
analysis, we have a hotspot recommender that can produce stuff like
"Users that like this hotspot, also like that hotspot" or "Most popular
hotspots nearby".  Although this platform was designed to support the
Austin Wireless City Project, nearly 30% of the traffic now occurs
outside in 103 other cities and 8 countries.  There's no doubt that
Austin dominates the network, but the other top 4 countries
participating are Grenada, UK, Malaysia, and Canada.

We're using WiFiDog firmware if you want to try it out.  The venue
"service plan" fees ($29 USD) can likely be waived for list members

www.lessnetworks.com
http://www.lessnetworks.com/static/downloadSmartAP_2.html

As for *how* they're using the connections, we don't really know and not
sure if we should.  For venues that are using our content-filtering
service, we keep stats on blocked domains (I've learned so much from
looking at this list! :-)  We also get a pretty good idea of people's
browser default home page because we redirect them from there to our
sign-in page.  Beyond that, we stay out of the connection and don't
monitor/track behavior.  We do know about browser types....lots more
iphones starting to show up!

--r