[wsfii-discuss] Fwd: [india-gii] poor WiFi encryption a security risk

wlanmac wlan at mac.com
Thu Sep 18 13:16:01 UTC 2008

True, but your analogy isn't complete, in my opinion.

Roads are patrolled by police and sometimes cctv. You need a license
to drive and are subject to random inspection. The postal system puts
safeguards in place to deal with threats. Cellular networks are
not free and open and they also monitor and track usage.

What safeguards are put into open WiFi networks?
How are they patrolled and/or monitored?

Closing the 'networks' you pointed out would indeed have serious
implications to business, life, and liberty. Does closing down
(or securing) WiFi have the same kind of consequences? hmm...

David