[wsfii-discuss] Fwd: [india-gii] poor WiFi encryption a security risk

Alexander List alex at list.priv.at
Thu Sep 18 12:44:06 UTC 2008

wlanmac wrote:
> It depends on what flavor of wireless security you are using. Though,
> with so many open networks, I'm not sure it's worth going after the
> secured networks unless the attacker it targeting someone specific.
> Maybe terrorists are using the WiFi for it's convenience over sending
> e-mails from hacked machines on the Internet :)

As with all services/systems/tools abused for malicious purposes: You do
not want to deny useful service to the majority of well-behaving users
just because some black sheep are abusing the service.

Do you want to shut down the international postal system because bombs
or anthrax could be sent in packages/letters?
Do you want to shut down cellphone networks because someone could use a
cellphone to remotely detonate a bomb?
Do you want to block all roads because someone could use them to drive
car bombs to their target?

The benefits of open WiFi infrastructure outweigh the possible risks by
orders of magnitude. Terrorism and crime are problems of
society/politics, and you cannot fight these problems efficiently with
technical means. If you do so, the "collateral damage" to legitimate
users are severe, and the "bad guys" have achieved part of their goal:
to spread fear, disorder, chaos.

Just my 5c

Alex