[wsfii-discuss] Fwd: [india-gii] poor WiFi encryption a security risk

Ramon Roca ramon.roca at guifi.net
Fri Sep 19 06:37:25 UTC 2008

IMHO, you are mixing things.
We do have about 6,000 thowsands of open links in Catalonia, all of that
outdoors, which means public locations.
I assume there are some criminals at the region like any other region in
the world.
If you see, by having open and free networks that doesn't make ant
difference at all. Criminals would still have tons of ways to
communicate. In fact has been used much more often mobiles for bombing
than open wifi accesses.

"Security" in the terms of user "safety" you are referring happens when
you have firewalls avoiding others to get into your private segments of
the network which really requires security, or enabling VPN connections
when you are trespassing the open networks (that's the real function of
the VPN). Not by closing open networks/accesses.

To encrypt the network itself to close it, creates a false idea of
safety and you loose performance and usability, and that is much more
worst for the average user.

You must educate the users on security, not to lie them or propagate the
paranoia that open networks do compromise the safety.

En/na wlanmac ha escrit: