[wsfii-discuss] EU comission survey about NGA

Vickram Crishna v1clist at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 29 06:57:32 UTC 2008

With due respect to the far-seeing nabobs of the EU, who clearly want nothing but egalitarianism to rule, this statement of the EU Telecoms Commissioner (from the press release) makes me sit up and wonder a bit: "We want to reduce the scope for divergences of
regulatory approaches across Europe, in the interest of legal certainty.
Uncoordinated or even contradictory action of national regulators as regards
Next Generation Networks could seriously damage competition and undermine
Europe's single market. We propose in particular that project-specific risk
premiums should be applied, so that competition can flourish while those who
invest are rewarded in line with the risks they have incurred."

While undoubtedly it is very easy to put down in black and white (and red, if that is what they claim) the costs incurred by a telco, I submit this is neither as easy, nor as equitable, for a 'free' community based service. Who will 'value' the hours put in by volunteers to keep the networks running, the software such high quality, the time spent to attend camps (some of which are held outside the EU, but are none the less vital for that) to update knowledge? Should (and will) each 'nodal' homeowner's investments in hardware and 'uncompensated' donation of real estate to mount antennae etc be equally well accounted? Will a millionaire's home or farmhouse have the same notional value as a council house roof?

Is it even desirable that such community-based initatives for the common good be ranked on the same platform as profit-making businesses? Is the end-objective sufficiently clear?

Should an approach that, upfront, touts 'competition' and 'risky investments' as the rationale for standard-setting, be supported by a community initiative and by community movements? Wasn't this fundamental dichotomy one of the reasons to be suspicious of 'free-beer' proprietary networks?

And while we examine Ms Reding's statement for its risibility, shouldn't we also insist that the difference between 'premiums' and 'premia' be clarified? Hopefully, from such pettifogging will the fog clear.

Finally, Ramon asked for a consensual approach within and between communities in the EU. I do hope that whatever emerges from this potential submission, the positive side of a regional consensus will be reflected in other parts of the world, especially Asia and Africa, where 'outside' telcos wield a powerful influence on telecom structures.

 Vickram
http://communicall.wordpress.com
http://vvcrishna.wordpress.com