[wsfii-discuss] Cheap mesh devices

elektra onelektra at gmx.net
Mon Jan 26 12:33:19 UTC 2009

Hi .

NS2 and NS5 are really nice hardware. Together with recent OpenWRT firmware it
works nicely in ad-hoc mode and the driver supports ahdemo mode together with
AP mode also (Madwifi VAP). Multiple mesh routing protocols are available -
Batman, Batman-Experimental, Olsrd (all Layer 3), Batman-Advanced (Layer2)
and others.

I doubt that the factory Ubiquiti firmware supports ad-hoc mode - it may be
possible to enable it from the command line but it is unlikely stable. At
least if it doesn't contain the patches that went into Openwrt in the last 3
months.

There are ready-to-go mesh firmware images for NS2 and other Atheros SoC based
devices:
http://nightwing.lugro-mesh.org.ar/en/
http://www.blogin.it/

If you don't need a device shipped with waterproof housing - I like D-Link
DIR-300 - 4 port switch, Atheros SoC, tested with up to 1V5 DC supply, power
consumption around 2 Watts, for less than 30 Euros. However I use it with a
self-compiled image on the command line. Not sure there is a easy-to-use
firmware image yet.

Cheers,
elektra