[wsfii-discuss] NMS best practice documents ?

Chris Wilson chris at aptivate.org
Wed Sep 30 08:32:34 UTC 2009

Hi Bogdan,

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009, Bogdan Tancic wrote:

> I am doing research with my team on academic network about network
> monitoring systems. Also we are making some bpd's and the first task is
> creating recommendations for surroundings (networks, servers, network
> devices etc) in which you can implement monitoring software.  If someone
> of you have some sort of these documents concerning academic networks in
> your country or your community networks, I would be more than grateful
> if you can share that.

That sounds like interesting research. I wonder if you are considering the
wider scope of "network monitoring" than device availability? For example
there are some good practices (I hesitate to say "best") around network
management in general, including Internet access and quality monitoring,
in the BMO book, available free online (http://bwmo.net).

Also, perhaps you may like to ask KENET and TENET and the various members
of the AFNOG mailing list for information about their network monitoring.

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.