[wsfii-discuss] Playing around with AirOS + OLSRRe: WasabiNet mesh in St. Louis appeared on local TV news!

equinox equinox at chaos-at-home.org
Sat Nov 20 03:12:47 UTC 2010

Hi,

Ben West schrieb:
[..]
> I have the modded AirOS images running on a NSM5 and a Rocket M5.  Both
> devices see each using standard ubnt functionality.

that was the plan ;).

> A question, at high level: how does the OLSR patch interact with the
> existing modes in AIrOS for LAN and WLAN  routing?

not really, the only change i made is to allow to set no default
gateway. By default the web interface enforces you to set a default
gateway. But of course this can interfere with dynamic routing.

> E.g. for the "Network" tab, there is Bridge, Router, SOHO Router, and
> for the "Wireless" tab there is Station and Access Point.

all of these should be basically the same. For olsr you normally would
use router mode on alle nodes, AP mode on one node and Station at all
the others.

> The screenshots from the wiki show one device (the Airgrid) as
> Router/Access Point.  Are all other nodes set to the same modes, or do
> some nodes need to be set at Stations/Bridge?

As with normal wireless setup there is one node configured as access
point and all the others are configured as station. Using router mode
(not bridge) is preferred in most cases (on both sides). But setting it
to bridge is also supported because this may be usefull at times.
Also you have to consider that unfortunately there is no ad-hoc mode in
this version of the firmware. The main reason for that is that the
kernel used by Airos is quite old (2.6.16 i think) and a quite new
version of the driver would be needed to have stable ad-hoc mode. Also
in our network we don't need ad-hoc mode by the nodes running AirOS. We
use OpenWRT on Ubiquity hardware when we need ad-hoc.

regards,
 christian