[wsfii-discuss] Is multi-casting video conferencing over IP available for tele-training?

sebastian büttrich sebastian at less.dk
Sat Nov 20 15:46:57 UTC 2010

Dear Mahabir,

On Sat, 2010-11-20 at 11:28 +0545, Mahabir Pun wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am looking for open source multi-casting video conferencing over IP
> addresses system. We have now a hybrid network of wireless and optical
> fiber in about 100 villages. The purpose is to provide live trainings
> to people from a classroom, who are living in different villages and
> in different regions. Therefore two way communication is important.
> Please let me know if there is such system available. Also I would
> like to know if such system can be developed using open source.

it surely can -

available open source / free software includes:

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/ (!)

http://www.vmukti.com/

http://www.dimdim.com/ (note: hosted solution!)

http://ekiga.org/

it is difficult to say, which is the best way to go -

i guess you would prefer a local system (= not hosted somewhere outside
your network), due to bandwidth constraints.

i would be interested to hear what others have experience with and
opinions on.

best,

sebastian