[wsfii-discuss] Playing around with AirOS + OLSRRe: WasabiNet mesh in St. Louis appeared on local TV news!

L. Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Tue Nov 23 11:09:55 UTC 2010

On Nov 21, 2010, at 5:51 AM, Ben West wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> Thanks for your response.  Your descriptions make sense for operating an OLSR mesh, i.e. no default gateway, and all (except one) nodes operating as Station + Router.
>
> Besides the NSM5 and Rocket M5 I'm testing with, I also have a pair of Bullet M5s which I could use to test a mesh of 2+ nodes.  Since i only anticipate my own devices (i.e. no users' hardware) participating in the 5GHz meshm, I'm building, I would like to see whether setting all repeater nodes in Bridge mode could work for me.

It will work. But please note that you are supporting a single layer 2 broadcast domain in this case.
This might be OK for you (I know ISPs where *everything* is bridged) - as long as your links have a high capacity and they are stable. In my experience things can get a bit tasty if you have too many broadcast storms.

In addition here is something which might be helpful for you: the new etx_ffeth metric:
You might want to tune your links with the  mode "mesh" or mode "ethernet" parameters and the etx_ffeth metric in olsrd.conf.
See files/olsrd.conf.default.lq for a good description.
The etx_ffeth metric is new in 0.6* and basically treats wired links as links with ETX metric 0.1 . Which makes them the prefered routes . So the idea is to stay on the cable as long as you can.
Note that etx_ffeth is not compatible with the previous etx_* metrics.

Best,
a.