[wsfii-discuss] WasabiNet mesh in St. Louis appeared on local TV news!

Ben West westbywest at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 18:48:36 UTC 2010

Hi Ulf,

We are using the (OpenWRt-based, with OLSR) ROBIN firmware available from
open-mesh.com ron all 2.4GHz devices.  We do this since the OM dashboard is
really handy  The access points are Open Mesh OM1Ps, a couple Ubiquiti
Bullet2HPs, a Nanostation2, and a large smattering of Engenuis EOC-1650 and
EOC-2160 for cost reasons.

There are about 4 active nodes right now, out of 49 provisioned.  Most nodes
just use the integrated antenna or 7dB dipoles, although there are now a
couple cantennas in place.
https://dashboard.open-mesh.com/overview2.php?id=wasabinet

Pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/wasabinetsupport/WasabiNetInstallation
http://picasaweb.google.com/wasabinetsupport/WasabiNetOnYourRooftop

I am happy to hear that reflashing the small Ubiquitis is getting easier.
 I've actually had some limited success doing on-the-fly firmware upgrades
on the Bullet2HP with the ROBIN firmware, tho I have to SSH into the device
and trigger an upgrade manually.

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 3:31 AM, Ulf Kypke-Burchardi <ulf at jewel-box.de>wrote:

>  hi ben, very cool, congratulations for you great community wireless
> project.
> how many nodes are in the olsr cloud?
> i saw in the news, you are running ubnt hardware, so if you use olsr, you
> are using openwrt on it?
> just yesterday we (some freifunker) finished working on a modified
> bootloader for the nanostation 2 and bullet 2 to have a bootwait to get
> access to the bootloader for upgrading firmware
> no more reset button pressing on rooftops for upgrading!
> good luck for your fiber uplink,
> cheers
> ulf kypke from berlin
>

> On 10/27/10 7:26 AM, Ben West wrote:
>
> KSDK, a local TV station, recorded this interview with Minerva and myself
> in May about our OLSR-based wifi mesh in St. Louis, MO USA.  They finally
> aired it earlier this month, in anticipation of Google announcing their
> plans for 1Gbit fiber deployments in this country later this year.
>
>  The WasabiNet KSDK video from 10/14 is now on Youtube!
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pDpUpRT6ZM
>
>  I will be gradually posting this link everywhere I can, but feel free
> to share it yourselves!
>
>  (P.S. Yes, I did have some caffeine that day.)
>
>  More about WasabiNet: http://gowasabi.net
>
>  --
> Ben West
> westbywest at gmail.com