[wsfii-discuss] [TIER] The alternative Internet, WiFi based (Project Kleinrock)

L. Aaron Kaplan aaron at lo-res.org
Sat Jul 23 10:09:18 UTC 2011

Chris,

in Austria (Funkfeuer.at) we are slowly expanding to a nationwide mesh network.
There are tests underway to create a cross country (Slovenia-Austria, Slovenia-Croatia) connection.
The Ham people already have something like this running - for emergency cases: http://wiki.oevsv.at/index.php/Kategorie:Digitaler_Backbone
(red links are working links, green under construction and blue planned ones)

So - to be precise - for a country wide backbone network with Wi-Fi - yes, this is totally doable. But as Alexander already wrote, not with self made antennas (they are just simply cheaper to buy and more stable and they have a better quality than FabFi style antennas).
Other issues might be more important. For example: stable electricity.

In case you need further information on how we plan links and how we can create a country wide network, feel free to contact me.

Aaron.