[wsfii-discuss] Assessment of the socio-economic benefits of community wireless mesh networks

Carlos Rey-Moreno crey at ehas.org
Tue Jun 12 04:55:43 UTC 2012

Hi all,

My name is Carlos Rey-Moreno, and I'm working on the deploying of a
participatory-designed community wireless mesh network (using
Mesh-Potatoes) in a rural community in South Africa. In the first stages
of the project we'll be focusing only on providing internal calls in the
network and designing with the local institutions the prices of these
calls as for making the maintenance of the network sustainable.

Together with the deployment we want to understand the socio-economic
impact that our intervention will cause in the community, so I was
wondering  whether any of f you know of any assessment of the
socio-enconomic impact of a deployed community wireless networks (I dont
mind if they were rural or urban, "north" or "south")?

Thank you very much in advance

Carlos