[wsfii-discuss] Assessment of the socio-economic benefits of community wireless mesh networks

Karel Novotny karel at apc.org
Tue Jun 12 13:09:48 UTC 2012

Hi Carlos,

Interesting to learn about your project. I would be very interested to
get some updates from you as the project takes off.

You might be interested in this study that APC commissioned some 4 years
ago:
https://www.apc.org/en/pubs/research/unbounded-possibilities-observations-sustaining-ru

best regards

karel

On 06/12/2012 01:55 AM, Carlos Rey-Moreno wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My name is Carlos Rey-Moreno, and I'm working on the deploying of a
> participatory-designed community wireless mesh network (using
> Mesh-Potatoes) in a rural community in South Africa. In the first
> stages of the project we'll be focusing only on providing internal
> calls in the network and designing with the local institutions the
> prices of these calls as for making the maintenance of the network
> sustainable.
>
> Together with the deployment we want to understand the socio-economic
> impact that our intervention will cause in the community, so I was
> wondering  whether any of f you know of any assessment of the
> socio-enconomic impact of a deployed community wireless networks (I
> dont mind if they were rural or urban, "north" or "south")?
>
> Thank you very much in advance
>
> Carlos

Karel Novotny
working from Montevideo, Uruguay
Knowledge Sharing Projects Coordinator
Strategic Technologies & Network Development Programme
APC - The Association for Progressive Communications
http://www.apc.org
GSM: +598 983 010 99 (GMT -2)
sip:karelnovotny at ekiga.net