[wsfii-discuss] [Office] Pre-alert situation in Argentina, please help & advice

NicoEchániz nicoechaniz at altermundi.net
Mon Nov 26 15:22:03 UTC 2012

On 11/26/2012 10:28 AM, Vic Hayes wrote:
> Hi Ramon and Nicolas,
>
> Please look at Bob Horvitz website at
> http://www.volny.cz/horvitz/os-info/argentina.html
>
> The regulations seem favorable, even to the maximum of 4 W e.i.r.p! Here is
> the English translation of the relevant resolution:
>
> "Resolution No. 213/2004 was published in the Official Journal of Argentina
> on September 27th, 2004. This resolution Allows the use of 802.11g devices
> in Argentina for private (all the territory) and public (restricted to some
> areas) use. Besides, some technical conditions have been set, Such as
> maximum EIRP limited to 4 W. " (Approval News, December 2004, Center for
> Communications Technology, Spain)

Vic, thanks for the link. I've been re-reading the original text of
Resolution 213/2004 [1] and although it allows for the private use of
these technologies in the 2.4Ghz band:

Art. 5 - Private use of the systems described in Article 1 will also be
allowed in the national territory.

The problem is with article 7:

Art. 7° — Radioelectric systems authorization [...] will be subject to
the presentation of descriptive information on every traffic
concentration station [...]

which in fact gives the CNC the power to declare illegal almost any
wireless router whenever they see fit. This information presentation is
the key problem because the hardware used must be approved by the CNC
itself and their list of approved hardware is always outdated in
relation to what's available on the market. To make it worse, only those
who produce or import the hardware are entitled to "homologation" (get
new hardware approved).

So... in the letter it would seem that the use of the 2.4Ghz band is
quite permissive but in reality it's not and almost every wifi router
installed in Argentina can be considered to be violating these
regulations, thus making it's enforcement completely arbitrary.

I'll keep in touch with Ramón and let you all know of any news on this
matter. Thanks for the support :)

Cheers,
NicoEchániz

[1] http://www.copitec.org.ar/revista/doc_download/509-resolucion-nd-2132004