[Yourtopia] "Learn more" text and general concept conflict

Marian Steinbach marian at sendung.de
Thu Apr 12 12:20:32 BST 2012

Hi Rosamaria!

I now had a look at the texts at http://econ.okfnpad.org/yourtopia2 .

The texts don't describe the app as it's supposed to work by April 30.
Basically the whole text elaborates on this concept:

"By picking indicators and telling Yourtopia how important they are in
relation to each other, you collaborate with all other users in
building the world's first composite index of regional progress
without arbitrary weighting assumptions."

In some initial drafts which I discussed with Valichka and Rufus, we
explored the option to make users select individual indicators. This
turned out to be something many users probably would not go through
due to the amount of details presented and the need for specific
involvement and thought. In other words: It would be much more
difficult than just setting weights to categories.

In addition, the whole notion of a composite index is currently not in
scope for April 30. As I understood the priorities, creating an
individual index and sharing it with others would be the only
functions to be supported in this iteration. I may have gotten this
wrong. If yes, we have to clarify this as soon as possible.

The options we have, as I see it:

A) Adjust the text to fit the app as it will be launched for April 30.
I'd prefer that.
B) Adjust the app to fit the text. This would require both individual
indicator selection and composite index display. I think this would
put the launch at risk.
C) Do something in between. Either make indicator selection possible
or consider a composite index display. Plus review the text to match
the functions.

I'd appreciate your feedback!

If you want to take a look at the drafts with individual indicator
selection, here is one:
http://www.sendung.de/cust/okfn/yourtopia/wf-20120323-1730/?Page=Create_Index_-_List_plus_Map_2

Marian