[Yourtopia] "Learn more" text and general concept conflict

Dirk Heine dirk.heine at cantab.net
Fri Apr 13 03:14:35 BST 2012

Dear Mariam,

On the statement "By picking indicators and telling Yourtopia how important
they are in
relation to each other, you collaborate with all other users in building
the world's first composite index of regional progress without arbitrary
weighting assumptions.": I think both options that you presented would make
this possible. In both cases the user is already generating a composite
index. The only addition to make the user construct an index together with
other users would be to average across all users so far.

This would be like on yourtopia.net. When the user does the quiz on that
page, it generates his personal composite index. And when you go on
http://yourtopia.net/result, the page just sums over all user's composite
index to create one "meta-index".

It would be superb, if we could have the same be implemented for Yourtopia
2.

One slight modification might be needed though: Yourtopia 2 provides the
instant visualization of the rankings/heatmap, and as the user gets excited
about this, he will probably play around with the sliders a bit. So the
question for generating the meta-index is then, which of the various
rankings each user might generate do we use? For this reason, might we have
a button under the sliders that the user clicks when he found his final
configuration? The button could read "Confirm my final selection, to
contribute to overall index", or something similar. Does that make sense?

Otherwise I much like both versions of the app. And we could also change
the text. As this concerns a core part of the idea underlying Yourtopia,
however, it would be fantastic if you could still integrate it.

Change of topic: On the selection between the two apps that you suggested.
I like both and your argument for the second is very convincing. Still I
think that experienced users will be very interested in which proxy
variables are used for the different categories. In fact, the choice of
proxy variables is a main topic in the Stiglitz et al report that
stimulated us (and the Italian government) to look at measuring social
progress in the first place. So unless it makes your work even harder
(which I guess it does, and then please forget whatever I say), it would be
most brilliant if there were an "expert mode" in which users can vary the
proxy variables for each category. For example as in
http://energy.publicdata.eu/ where the user is able to get more control if
he clicks on the + sign in the top left corner (although I am not sure this
is the best way of doing it).

Generally I love both interfaces that you did and am extremely happy about
it. And if my above suggestions cause alltoomuch work, then what you
developed is amazing already.

If the expert mode and the overall-index thing could still be realised, we
would have even better chances to relate the website to the work of
Italy/EU/OECD/Germany on measuring aggregate social progress, but maybe
those additions are not possible for the moment.

Many thanks for the amazing work again and one-armed best wishes, ;-)

Dirk