[annotator-dev] Annotator plugin for Wordpress, a first progress report

Mark MacGillivray mark at odaesa.com
Thu Jun 2 14:38:52 UTC 2011

Comments below:

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Aron Carroll <aron at aroncarroll.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Looks like your issue with the header is due to the content element on the default Wordpress theme has it's overflow set to hidden. This can't really be worked around using CSS as changing this property could break the theme.

Agreed.

>> I was considering instead of appending comments into the object they are
>> about, instead just finding the position on the page that they relate
>> to and putting them at the same position but appended to the body.
> This seems like the most robust solution. The annotator should be appended to the document body and all positioning should be calculated and applied relative to the body.

I think probably the annotator should still only be appended to the
element you want to allow people to comment on - would it be worth
offering a default of "#content" in the case of wordpress? - but the
comments should actually append to the body with correct positioning.
When trying to add a new comment, a click on the element where
annotator is enabled should bring up the comment bar, and to ensure
this is viewable it may be necessary to check it does not overhang the
element on which commentator is enabled - e.g. place it above the
click event if near the bottom, below if near the top, etc. Or
actually, although the click event occurs on a particular element, it
should be possible to append the element that collects the comment
content to the body as well, again with correct positioning, to make
sure it cannot disappear into hidden overflow, or underneath elements
with a higher z-index (given that, as Aron points out, we cannot know
what the CSS settings on a page may be in advance, and we should not
edit them in case annotator breaks the display of the page in which it
is embedded.

Also, don't know if you have come across this yet - but has anyone
tried using annotator on a page with embedded content? e.g. a youtube
video? Because the embedded content does not belong to the page in
question, I could not find a way to disable other events on such
content - hence clicking to add a comment would actually fire the
event on the embedded content - e.g. run the video, take you to
youtube, whatever - and you fail to make a comment. I was getting
round this by putting a placeholder object ontop of any embedded
content so that it could safely be clicked on. I have not looked at
how annotator is (or is not) doing it.

Mark