[annotator-dev] Handling server errors

Andrew Brookins abrookins at safaribooksonline.com
Thu Jan 9 15:51:10 UTC 2014

Hey all,

I have an old todo to talk about a problem I ran into while using
Annotator. It was that I could not find a way to hook into an error
response from the server when the user saved the Edit Form. Any server
error resulted in a generic message displayed to the user that did not seem
easy to override.

I think two API changes would help this task -- and please let me know if
these already exist:

* A way to add a server error handler when setting up Annotator on the page
* A way to add a server error handler from a plugin

The API that seems to make the most sense is another Annotator event, so
plugins can subscribe to it. My intent with the event would be to use it to
display field errors directly on the Edit Form, so it would also be nice if
the form did not close until after a successful request, or if it reopened
on a server error.

Thoughts?

Best,
Andrew