[annotator-dev] Automated Browser Testing

Bill Hunt bill at krues8dr.com
Mon Jun 23 17:58:58 UTC 2014

I spent the morning working with BrowserStack, and it doesn't appear to be quite as mature as SauceLabs.

You can definitely still run tests in a cloud-based browser as all of the other services offer, but like Browserling, the failures are not logged and reported in the dashboard.  Or, at least, it doesn't appear to do this by default and they don't really have very deep documentation on how to do this.   It still looks like those errors can probably be reported back to the script running them, but I haven't had time to dig in very deep on that and again, it doesn't look as easy as what SauceLabs already has in place.  If anyone on the list has other experience they can contribute, please chime in!

Aron - to your question, grunt-saucelabs gives us the seamless integration with the SauceLabs API and dashboard.  We can run tests automatically and the results are published to the SauceLabs dashboard.  Sounds simple, but apparently not everyone is doing this.

I've found only one Gulp-SauceLabs module so far, but it's only got two commits several months old; I have not actually had the time to try and get it to run yet though.  Again, Gulp is still really new, and we probably aren't going to find wide support yet here.  Obligatory wheel-reinventing-yadda-yadda.

Cheers,
-Bill

Bill Hunt
Senior Developer