[annotator-dev] annotator2/master storage configuration

Robert Casties casties at mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de
Sat Jan 31 13:43:48 UTC 2015

Hi Randall and Benjamin,

On 30.01.15 20:51, Benjamin Young wrote:
> For the short term, it's certainly a lack of documentation--took me quite
> awhile to find what Rob just wrote when I was trying to do the same.

I see it the same way. Some current documentation would help a lot.

I read the Annotator sources but it was still not obvious to me what's
the best way to interact with it when setting it up or writing a plugin.

I had my doubts about poking around in the .registry member when I first
tried to set the prefix for the storage plugin. Then I found Benjamins
post about the setup function. So I thought there would be a something
like that for load() too...

> Long term, I think the API should be more obvious. It feels strange to have
> `.load()` so "far away" from the object I expect to have all the smarts.
>
> It's similar to how the `addPlugin` and `setStorage` as method calls
> *feels* vs. how passing in a config object of some kind *feels*.

The 1.2.x API is easier to approach that way. But it has its own
pitfalls and I fully understand why everything was rewritten.

> Really just a syntax choice, but when I found what I needed to do what I
> wanted it was in a different place than I'm used to and looked different in
> the end than I'd expected it to look:
> https://github.com/hypothesis/annotator-couchapp/blob/master/couchapp/_attachments/index.html#L114-L150

Yeah, I have code like that now, too ;-)

Maybe we need something easy to setup for the most common use cases.
Somewhat like the old kitchensink module.

In the meantime I'm happy with some documentation or sample code. I
would even venture to write some when I know what the intended way of
doing things is :-)

Maybe we could have an Annotator call and talk about this?

Cheers
	Robert

P.S. Next week we have a little programming sprint to create a prototype
Annotator installation for the DARIAH research infrastructure for the
Humanities. I think we'll start with the 1.2.x branch :-)

--
Dr. Robert Casties -- Information Technology Group
Max Planck Institute for the History of Science