[ckan-announce] [** Important **] Migrating to a new mailing list

Adrià Mercader adria.mercader at okfn.org
Fri Nov 22 23:57:38 UTC 2019

Hi all,

TL;DR:

* This mailing list is shutting down on December 19th, we are migrating to
Google Groups (Google account is not required)
* You need to manually subscribe to the new mailing list, we can't do that
automatically for you (see below for details).

-

ckan-announce at lists.okfn.org) have been kindly hosted and maintained by the
Open Knowledge Foundation (OKF) for over nine years alongside many other
projects and communities centered around open knowledge and data. OKF has
decided to discontinue the hosting of all their mailing lists, including
the CKAN ones, so we need to find a new home for them.

and ckan-announce at ckan.org). These will be hosted in Google Groups, but a
Google account is **not** required to join, and all basic interactions can
be done in the same way as the old mailing lists (via email). Details on
how to join are provided below and we encourage all current subscribers and
those CKAN users who are not subscribed yet to join them.

Some important points:

1. We will be **not** automatically migrating current subscribers to the
new platform due to legal limitations. You must do the registration
yourself (it only takes a couple of minutes, see below for details), and
you can do so starting from today.

2. The current lists will be shut down on Thursday December 19th 2019. They
will accept new messages until then, but we will ask any new messages to be
posted to the new mailing list.

3. We will be keeping the archives of the current mailing lists public. We
believe they are an important knowledge base around the project and have an
historical value for the CKAN project. Once we know the final location we
will share the details.

Please answer this thread or reach out to our Gitter channel (
https://gitter.im/ckan/chat) if you have any questions or concerns about
this.

## How to join the new mailing lists

There are two options depending on whether you want to use a Google account
or not. Both will allow the same basic functionality (ie subscribe to new
messages on the list, unsubscribe, etc).

### Option 1: Using a Google account

1. Sign in with your Google Account on https://groups.google.com
2. Visit the CKAN mailing list you want to join:
    * ckan-dev: https://groups.google.com/a/ckan.org/forum/#!forum/ckan-dev
    * ckan-announce:
https://groups.google.com/a/ckan.org/forum/#!forum/ckan-announce
3. Click the "Join Group" blue button next to the group name

### Option 2: Using a non-Google email

1. Send an email from the email account you want to register with to
ckan-dev+subscribe at ckan.org or ckan-announce+subscribe at ckan.org
2. Shortly afterwards you should receive a new email on the same account
with subject "Join request for CKAN DEV ...". **Make sure to check the spam
folder"**
3. Reply to that email or click the "Join Group" button on the email body.
4. You should receive a second confirmation email with subject "You have
joined the group ckan-dev at ckan.org". From that moment on you should receive
any new messages to the list to your email account