[ckan-dev] Implementing UI changes to CKAN

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Thu Dec 2 12:18:33 UTC 2010

Richard,

No probs. The branching policy is new, and James tells me we've agreed
to do it, so that'll be new for all of us.

Basic setup of CKAN on your computer:
http://knowledgeforge.net/ckan/doc/ckan/README.html#developer-installation

You want to pull/push by default all latest branches, so use
pip-requirements.txt

BUT James said today that we should do feature branches from a stable
branch. So I suggest branching from metastable: 'Update clean' to
metastable (-C wipes any pending changes, but allows you to cross
branches): hg up -C metastable

Now you can start the branch e.g.: hg branch feature-685

Do your changes and then: hg ci -m '[templates]: #685 Added tags to
search results. Still need to update stylesheet.'
You can push that to the server: hg push

Regularly we're wanting to merge our features into the default branch.
So check you've not got any uncommitted changes (using hg stat) and
switch to default: hg up -C default (or check out another copy of the
repo for this purpose)

Now merge in your features: hg merge -r feature-685
nosetests ckan/tests   (check it still passes)
hg ci -m '[merge] from feature-685'
hg push

And then switch back to your branch: hg up -C feature-685

The next time you push to your branch, it will warn you that it would
create a new 'head'. This is because the branch was merged into
default, so you need to force: hg push -f

Any questions, there are usually some of us on irc or skype.

David