[ckan-dev] Docs draft

Anna Powell-Smith annapowellsmith at okfn.org
Wed Jul 27 19:33:15 UTC 2011

On 27 July 2011 15:58, William Waites <ww at styx.org> wrote:
> * [2011-07-27 11:27:07 +0100] David Read <david.read at okfn.org> écrit:
>
>> favour of the debian packaging approach, when that is simply not ready
>> yet
>
> Just to point out, it is simply not possible to assume that the
> software will be installed on a debian/ubuntu system. If that were a

Thanks all - as everyone agrees that install from source is still
needed, I've added it back in, with suitable warnings and context.

http://docs.ckan.org/
http://docs.ckan.org/install-from-package.html
http://docs.ckan.org/install-from-source.html

The install-from-source instructions are taken from the current README
- I tried these a couple of weeks ago, and they worked for me.

I have updated the README (in my forked repo) by deleting all the text
and simply pointing to the install-from-source doc, so we don't end up
with duplicate and slightly differing instructions as we had before.
(Shout if this is bad practice - but it is very important to avoid
duplication, I think.)

I've also:

* Added examples of loader scripts:
http://docs.ckan.org/loading_data.html (David, please would you
review, and discuss with me the section that needs work?)
* Clarified how to prepare to use extensions, after a conversation
with Rufus and David: http://docs.ckan.org/prepare-extensions.html
* Listed some appealing-sounding extensions at
http://docs.ckan.org/extensions.html#finding-extensions - not all, as
there are about 40 and they'll quickly go out of date.
* Gone through Ewan's comments at
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/ewan/ckan/install-ckan-issues.html and
done what I can to update
http://docs.ckan.org/install-from-source.html - I've added Ewan's
point (7). My Python knowledge isn't really good enough to understand
the implications of (4) and (6) (David?). I think (9) no longer
applies and (12) etc could be aded to http://wiki.ckan.net/Deployment
* Made all the other changes recommended by David
* Themed to match ckan.org (this isn't new, just forgot to mention before).
* Added a link to ckan-dev in the footer, so there's an obvious place
to go for help.

As before, please let me know here or on #ckan if you think we need
any more changes.

best wishes
Anna