[ckan-dev] Docs draft

David Read david.read at okfn.org
Thu Jul 28 10:04:05 UTC 2011

Hi Anna,

A few minor suggestions below.

David

On this page:
http://docs.ckan.org/extensions.html#installing-an-extension
You list popular extensions, which is good, but the comprehensive list is here:
http://wiki.ckan.net/List_of_Extensions
I think you should link to it directly. And it is not deprecated
afaict so I suggest you remove the notice.

BTW Are there any more of these deprecation notices in the wiki? Maybe
you should delete the content and provide a link to the new manual
page now?

Also, if you have used the package install then you'll need to create
a virtualenv before these install steps, so I should mention that.

On this page:
http://docs.ckan.org/install-from-package.html
I keep reading this and thinking I need a virtualbox install or Amazon
EC2. The options stand out of the page. For many people, Lucid is an
obvious and real option, so I think this should be included in the
list as option A.

In the 'prepare you system' section, maybe worth mentioning that
VirtualBox runs on Windows, Linux, Macintosh and Solaris.

"you can continue straight to install" should there be a link here?

On page
http://docs.ckan.org/install-from-source.html
the warning:
"Installing from source is complex and recommended only for users with
no access to Ubuntu 10.04 and core CKAN developers."
The instructions are pretty Ubuntu specific, so I think it would be
better to say:
"Installing from source is complex and recommended only for CKAN
developers or for distributions other than Ubuntu 10.04, for which
these instructions provide a basis."