[ckan-dev] Docs draft

Anna Powell-Smith annapowellsmith at okfn.org
Thu Jul 28 11:16:33 UTC 2011

Thanks - all made as noted below.

I've also updated the package install instructions to specify 64-bit
only for the moment.

On 28 July 2011 11:04, David Read <david.read at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hi Anna,
>
> A few minor suggestions below.
>
> David
>
> On this page:
> http://docs.ckan.org/extensions.html#installing-an-extension
> You list popular extensions, which is good, but the comprehensive list is here:
> http://wiki.ckan.net/List_of_Extensions
> I think you should link to it directly. And it is not deprecated
> afaict so I suggest you remove the notice.

Done and done.

> BTW Are there any more of these deprecation notices in the wiki? Maybe
> you should delete the content and provide a link to the new manual
> page now?

There were quite a few, but I deleted the pages yesterday and removed
links to them from the wiki homepage (was hoping to redirect, but
MediaWiki doesn't really allow external redirects). I should have just
deleted the content, as you suggest, sorry.

> Also, if you have used the package install then you'll need to create
> a virtualenv before these install steps, so I should mention that.

Done.

> On this page:
> http://docs.ckan.org/install-from-package.html
> I keep reading this and thinking I need a virtualbox install or Amazon
> EC2. The options stand out of the page. For many people, Lucid is an
> obvious and real option, so I think this should be included in the
> list as option A.

Done.

> In the 'prepare you system' section, maybe worth mentioning that
> VirtualBox runs on Windows, Linux, Macintosh and Solaris.

Done.

> "you can continue straight to install" should there be a link here?

Added, thanks.

> On page
> http://docs.ckan.org/install-from-source.html
> the warning:
> "Installing from source is complex and recommended only for users with
> no access to Ubuntu 10.04 and core CKAN developers."
> The instructions are pretty Ubuntu specific, so I think it would be
> better to say:
> "Installing from source is complex and recommended only for CKAN
> developers or for distributions other than Ubuntu 10.04, for which
> these instructions provide a basis."

Done.