[ckan-dev] Upgrading ckan installation on eu19.okfn.org

Ondřej Vadinský ondrej.vadinsky at vse.cz
Sun Sep 11 13:21:07 UTC 2011

Hello,

I'll be doing upgrade of CKAN installation on eu19.okfn.org (czech and nederlads CKAN). I'd like to clarify the steps I'll take to do it:
0) Would be good idea to stop CKAN related services, so noone interacts with CKAN in the process
	- apache
	- others which?

1) I want to make sure there is something to go back to in case the upgrade somehow fails:
	- there are no ckan packages at apt's cache, so is it possible somewhere to get outdated ckan packages: ckan 1.3.2~11, python-ckan 1.3.3~01-1? (or
maybe they are as apt-cache shows:

okfn at eu19:~$ apt-cache showpkg ckan
Package: ckan
Versions:
1.3.2~11 (/var/lib/dpkg/status)
 Description Language:
                 File: /var/lib/dpkg/status
                  MD5: 3216853765d7a20d61c9018213491226
Provides:
1.3.2~11 -
Reverse Provides:
	?)

	- is it possible to create server snapshot instead?
	- to create dump of database am I really to run command mentioned in the documentation (paster --plugin=ckan db dump
demo_ckan_backup.pg_dump --config=demo.ckan.net.ini)? Or two separate with czech and nederlands configs?

2) I do the upgrade not exactly as docs says (due to change in package name -- packaging note: doesn't .deb has something like a "replace flag" for
packages so that ckan-std would just replace ckan when doing dist-upgrade? Or am I too spoiled by Arch Linux? And doesn't the ckan and ckan-std
packages conflict?):
apt-get update
apt-get install ckan-std
apt-get remove ckan