[ckan-dev] fi.thedatahub.org installation - some help needed

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Sun Jan 15 11:01:26 UTC 2012

On 13 January 2012 03:05, Henri Ahti <henri.ahti at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are currently installing ckan to fi.thedatahub.org. We used package
> installation on ubuntu 10.04 server according to these instructions:
> http://readthedocs.org/docs/ckan/en/latest/install-from-package.html.
> However, there seems to be extra '?id=None' -parameter that is appended to
> some links, for example to 'Search' -link
> (http://fi.thedatahub.org/dataset?id=None), and that of course screws up
> the search (adds an extra unwanted search filter). There are several other
> places, even when creating a new package. So, it seems that there is extra
> get -parameter that is for whatever reason carried around. Do you have any
> idea what might cause this and how to fix it?

What causes this is Routes config (the url generation in Pylons). We
have seen this before. What is happening here is that Pylons can
operate in different modes and in the strict mode (which we are now
use) it won't default any parameters which can have the affect of this
?id=None showing up. I have to say we thought this was completely
eliminated (e.g. it does not happen on thedatahub.org) so surprised
you are encountering it.

How are you generating these links that get the id=None parameter? For
example we are generating search link (which goes to /dataset) on the
front page by doing:

url_for(controller='package', action='index')

> Only thing that went 'wrong' in the installation was that we had to
> initialize database after installation scripts failed to do it.

Was that due to permissions?

> Also, we need two extensions on our installation. Googleanalytics and
> disqus. Googleanalytics seems to work at least somewhat (writes to log
> after doing its things) after installing it like instructed in the
> tutorial
> (http://readthedocs.org/docs/ckan/en/latest/install-from-package.html) and
> in the extension readme. But, we can't seem to get disqus working. Ckan
> finds the extension, but it does seem to do nothing (does not write
> anything to log). We have disqus account 'datahubsuomi' for
> fi.thedatahub.org and ckan is configured to use extensions like so:
> ckan.plugins = disqus googleanalytics
> disqus.name = datahubsuomi
>
> Is there some further magic that is required or is there some compability
> issue with newer ckan version/package install version or something else
> that we should know?

Hmmm, I believe that some changes with the default v1.5 theme may have
caused some problems here. We'll take look asap (probably tomorrow)
and get back with more detail.

Rufus