[ckan-dev] DataStorer and preview troubleshooting

David Raznick kindly at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 21:39:50 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 7:16 PM, Jim Craner <jim at codeforamerica.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:57 AM, David Raznick <kindly at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Now my question is -- where does "ckan-data.cityofsantacruz.com" from?
>>
>> This comes from the ini file. It is derived of the site_id.  The
>> site_id must be data.cityofsantacruz.com, we prepend "ckan-" to it.
>
> Well, that explains why my greps were fruitless.  Thanks :-)
>
>> The above issue is definitely something to do with ckan receiving the
>> wrong hostname/script headers and not being able to determine where it
>> is.  So that may be part of the problem.  If I could see your
>> apache/nginx config that would be handy.
>
> * The hostname of this machine is dbeach.local.
> * I changed the "server_name" parameter of
> /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/ckan from dbeach.local to
> data.cityofsantacruz.com and rebooted
> * After that change, uploads and data store and Recline visualization
> all worked successfully.
>
> I'm *not* 100% understanding this fix -- the nginx.conf file had that
> server name in it from day 1 and I did several successful test uploads
> and data calls and visualization demos with it.  But if this "breaks"
> again, I'll start looking at the nginx and apache2 configs first.
>
> Thanks for your troubleshooting help!
> Jim

Thats great!  Nginx should pass the hostname in the browser to apache,
so there should not be a need explicitly set the hostname like that.
However, if you are browsing using http://dbeach.local/dataset (or
using the ip address) it will pass the hostname as dbeach.local and
may cause errors.  So setting it explicitly will help with local
testing.  I can not think of anything else that would cause that
inconsistency.

Thanks

David