[ckan-dev] DataStorer extension location question

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Wed Jun 13 12:01:10 UTC 2012

> I'm (still) trying to get the DataStorer functionality working.  I
> have a fresh install of CKAN 1.7 from source running on a local Ubuntu
> 10.04 LTS virtual environment.
>
> I got CKAN running, the FileStore running, everything is looking good.
>
> I really need some help clarifying the instructions found here:
>
> https://github.com/okfn/ckanext-datastorer
>
> These instructions *seem* to work, as in no errors are generated
> during the installation, but I'm really not sure where the files are
> supposed to end up.  When I try to access CKAN after installing this,
> I get a 500 error and the logs report "PluginNotFoundException:
> datastore."
>
> My CKAN folder is in my server's user's home folder, ~/pyenv/src/ckan.
>  The config file is ~/pyenv/src/ckan/datasc.ini.  The installation
> instructions instruct me to download a zip file which becomes an
> okfn-ckanext-datastorer folder (which I've tried putting in ~ and in
> ~/pyenv/src/ckan).  When I run the installation, it generates a
> subfolder "ckanext" which has its own folder within it called
> "datastorer".  I tried putting that final "datastorer" folder directly
> in my existing ~/pyenv/src/ckan/ckanext folder and got the same
> results.  So at that point I'm completely lost.
>
> Can someone who has DataStorer running successfully tell me a) what to
> put in my CONFIG.ini file's plugins line (e.g., "datastore archiver"
> or "datastorer archiver" or something else)?  And b) what should the
> correct file structure be for the datastorer extension folder(s)
> relative to the root of my CKAN installation?

Hi Jim,

I haven't installed datastorer before myself, but I would try reading
the 'Installing an Extension' docs here:

http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-1.7/extensions.html#installing-an-extension

and then you might understand the ckanext-datastorer README a little
better. For example, I would probably download ckanext-datastorer by
activating my virtualenv and running a command like:

    pip install -e git+https://github.com/okfn/ckanext-datastorer.git#egg=ckanext-datastorer

this should download and install ckanext-datastorer in a directory like:

    pyenv/src/ckanext-datastorer

You might still need to run pip install -r on the requires.txt file in
the ckanext-datastorer directory.

In the plugins line of your CKAN ini file you should add something like:

    plugins = datastorer

A couple of things you can do to test whether datastorer is working
properly are to run CKAN with `paster serve development.ini` and see if
it crashes with something like 'Plugin not found: datastorer', run the
datastorer tests, something like:

    nosetests tests

from the ckanext-datastorer directory, and to try out the
`paster datastorer` command (from the pyenv/src/ckan directory).