[ckan-dev] Data viewer features

Mark Wainwright mark.wainwright at okfn.org
Thu May 10 11:32:04 UTC 2012

I had a long chat this morning with a couple of very helpful people
from the Cambridge DCAT team (the team that manages the University's
institutional repository). I arranged this because I wanted to find
out more about repositories, but they were also quite interested in
CKAN. Anyway, they mentioned various things that they'd really like a
data repository / management system to do, and I wonder whether we can
do them or how easy/hard they'd be if not.

I'll split this over 3 e-mails so the thread doesn't become too
confusing - these ones are about the data viewer.

1. I want to publish a data file and, rather than separately publish a
graph, include one or more default views on the data. I could probably
get an 'embed' URL and link it as a separate resource in the dataset,
but that's clunky - can I store it in the metadata for the data
resource?

2. I've published my data, but I want to exercise a bit of control
over the visualisations. E.g. I want to disable map view because I
happen to know that it is meaningless, or I want to disable a column
from being graphed because it's meaningless and confusing (maybe it
looks a bit like a variable but is really just a unique ID).

Any thoughts?

Mark

--
Mark Wainwright, CKAN Community Co-ordinator
Open Knowledge Foundation http://okfn.org/