[ckan-dev] Data viewer features

Adrià Mercader amercadero at gmail.com
Thu May 10 16:24:10 UTC 2012

On 10 May 2012 12:32, Mark Wainwright <mark.wainwright at okfn.org> wrote:

> 1. I want to publish a data file and, rather than separately publish a
> graph, include one or more default views on the data. I could probably
> get an 'embed' URL and link it as a separate resource in the dataset,
> but that's clunky - can I store it in the metadata for the data
> resource?
I'm not sure I understand the full user story, but I guess that you
mean that the user publishing the data file could also pre-configure a
couple of meaningful graphs.
If that's the case, we would need to:
1. Store the dataviewer default state (eg which graphs to show) somehow
2. If we were to allow more than one views, a way to switch between them.

> 2. I've published my data, but I want to exercise a bit of control
> over the visualisations. E.g. I want to disable map view because I
> happen to know that it is meaningless, or I want to disable a column
> from being graphed because it's meaningless and confusing (maybe it
> looks a bit like a variable but is really just a unique ID).
That's related with point 1 above, we would need some way for users to
preconfigure the data viewer and then use this configuration when
rendering it. Apart from this, the particular options may need to be
developed, for instance hiding the map would be trivial, but not
hiding certain columns.

These are not immediate changes, but it is definitely a great feedback!

Adrià