[ckan-dev] trac.ckan.org (still) does not support tickets from non-admin users

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Mon May 28 13:45:26 UTC 2012

> This was raised a little while ago. I think this is pretty important
> to fix as it would allow wider number of people to file issues and
> bugs.
>
> Issue at the moment is trac spam handling does not function correctly
> on trac.ckan.org and hence if we allow logged in users to create/edit
> tickets we get flooded with spam.

> a) Fix trac.ckan.org spam handling
> b) Migrate to github issues
> c) Do nothing :-)
>
> I am actually leaning towards (b) given that we have code there. I've
> really come to prefer simplicity of github issues and milestones have
> improved quite a bit. Furthermore, there is an API so we could
> probably automate migration of tickets (and maybe even keep same
> ticket ids ...)

Hey Rufus, I'm looking into several trac issues this week, including the
spam handling.

We talked about this at the ckan-dev meetup. The problem with switching
to a new ticketing system (aside from it being a big disruptive change)
is that we don't 100% know what we want from our ticket system yet, so
we can't judge whether some new system meets our requirements. We've got
new ideas for how we want to work with tickets going forward, and at
first we're gonna see if we can hammer trac into working how we want it
to.