[ckan-dev] default beaviour of WMS viewer

Elena Camossi elena.camossi at ext.jrc.ec.europa.eu
Tue Dec 17 16:09:38 UTC 2013

Hi Armin,

thanks a lot for your answer and your explanation (and the links for testing
too!).

Actually, we have verified that the harvester works, and yes,  there’s most
likely a problem with the metadata of the datasets. The harvested links to
the resources were somehow broken, so we were trying to correct some of them
by hand, once we found out how the GetCapabilities request is.

This definetely works, and I can see the layers both in QGIS and in CKAN,
but from the CKAN frontend I cannot interactively select the layer to
visualize because i cannot see all the layer names and the boxes to check
for selecting them... that is, it’s actually a silly problem, most likely
the viewer assumes that you don’t have so many layers attached to a
getCapabilities (I understand this is not the most userfriendly way to
browse a GetCapability request!).

So this is why I was wondering if there is a smarter way to put the request,
but from your answer i guess I would need a dataset/layer id. Actually, I
have a name, the getMap request generated from the GeoServer looks like this
one

http://.../geoserver/wms?service=WMS
<http://.../geoserver/wms?service=WMS&version=1.1.0&request=GetMap&layers=ch
m:espon_potential_physical_impact&styles=&bbox=-63.153,-21.389,55.837,71.185
&width=512&height=398&srs=EPSG:4258&format=application/openlayers>
&version=1.1.0&request=GetMap&layers=chm:espon_potential_physical_impact&sty
les=&bbox=-63.153,-21.389,55.837,71.185&width=512&height=398&srs=EPSG:4258&f
ormat=application/openlayers

I have tried of course to put this request in CKAN but it remains
undefinetely on Loading...

The id that I can see from both QGIs and GeoServer are numbers (76 and 77 in
this case), I guess local to this GeoServer instance.

There is another way in which I can compose the request, so it can be
processed by CKAN?

For completeness, I have tried in alternative to use the GeoJSON viewer
getting the GeoJSON request from GeoServer, but the layer is too big :(

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

-Elena