[ckan-dev] CKAN 2 permissions / publisher mode question

Lasse Vestergaard ibbernik at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 09:55:58 UTC 2013

Hi CKAN devs.

I have been looking at the harvester extensions and how to create your own.
I know it is asking for a lot, but would it be possible to expand the
documentation on this part? I think I got the conceptual idea about how
harvesters work, but I can't figure out how to get started. I don't have
any concrete problems, my issues relates more to the following questions:

Isn't it possible to harvest everything your heart want?
I could harvest actual data and not only metadata?
Couldn't I harvest directly from an Oracle database client that has some
kind of accessible API?
Or could I harvest data directly form a web service?

When I read the documentation it seems like I can only harvest metadata
from data resources that conform to CSW. My concrete issue is that I need
to write middleware when ever I want to access data from a new proprietary
data source. Wouldn't it be interesting to extend CKAN with some kind of
generic middleware hook? That way one could program a new data source
extension on top of the generic one. This might be related to the
datastore, I guess.

Regards

Lasse Vestergaard