[ckan-dev] CKAN 2.0 training: advice for plugins?

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at okfn.org
Wed Jan 9 18:55:50 UTC 2013

Hi Stefan, that's quite a range of topics, it sounds like they're
expecting you to be an expert on everything about CKAN already, which
seems like a big ask.

I can come by the Berlin office later this week and answer questions if
you want, will email off-list.

Here are my suggestions:

> visualizations

I don't know much about this, can someone provide an introduction to the
current state of things?

> install

If CKAN 2.0 it has to be a source install not a package install. Ubuntu
12.04 is strongly recommended but the source install should be fairly
cross-platform, you just need to figure out how to install the required
packages in step 1 on your OS.

http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/install-from-source.html

> configuration

You do all the basic configuration by editing your whatever.ini file
that you create from a template during the install process. The template
file contains example values for many of the settings. You have to
restart your web server for ini file changes to take effect.

> deployment

Strongly recommend using Ubuntu 12.04, this will make your life much
easier. The deployment docs are up to date and quite good:

http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/deployment.html

> customization

What exactly do they mean here? Creating extensions?

> theming

The docs are here:

http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/theming.html

I think most of that is still true until you get to the but at the
bottom about Genshi templates, this has changed completely in CKAN 2.0,
moving from the Genshi template engine to Jinja, as well as other
changes, and the docs have not been updated, there are some new,
unfinished docs that are not in the table of contents yet, this is a
good starting point:

https://github.com/okfn/ckan/blob/master/doc/frontend-development.rst

> - API,

Ignore the API v1/2 and ignore ckanclient, just call API v3 from Python
(or whatever):

http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/apiv3.html
https://gist.github.com/4130567

> - Drupal integration

I think David Raznick (kindly) would be the person to ask about this.
Last I remember hearing about it was this document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rMRxuwVh7rK-dDRZukspC4y2HlXynF4RGS0mj4OjhVo/edit?pli=1#heading=h.aeyncdf923w5

> - Datastore

I think Dominik is the person to talk to about this. There's a new
version of the datastore in CKAN 1.8/2.0, I don't have much experience
with it yet, it does have some docs that I think are up to date:

http://docs.ckan.org/en/latest/datastore.html

> - Geospatial features

There might not be time to review your ckanext-spatial pull request
before next week, I have a lot to do already