[ckan-dev] CKAN 2.0 installation problem (postgresql auth?)

Jim Craner jim at codeforamerica.org
Thu Jun 13 23:48:29 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I followed the instructions here:

http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-2.0/install-from-package.html

...to install CKAN 2.0 on a clean Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit AWS instance.
 Whenever I try to access the new CKAN instance, I get a server 500 error.

The ckan_default.error.log has a bunch of traceback info but it always ends
in:

[Thu Jun 13 21:32:45 2013] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] OperationalError:
(OperationalError) FATAL:  password authentication failed for user
"ckan_default"
[Thu Jun 13 21:32:45 2013] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] FATAL:  password
authentication failed for user "ckan_default"
[Thu Jun 13 21:32:45 2013] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]  None None

... so I'm assuming it's a problem with postgresql (since the FATAL line
also shows up in the postgresql log).

To install postgresql, I followed the instructions here:

http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-2.0/install-from-package.html

I confirmed that the password in the CKAN ini file's sqlalchemy section is
valid.  I tried changing the pgsql ckan_default user's password in both
pgsql and in the INI file, got the same error.

I tried setting the server's pg_hba.conf for local connections to md5 from
ident which I seem to remember having to do in CKAN 1.8 on Ubuntu 10.04
setup, but got the same error.

'sudo ckan db init' always returns successful so I'm not sure if that uses
the actual pgsql connection or not.

Not sure if there's a step missing from the docs or if there's just
something different about my PostgreSQL setup but I'm not sure what to do
next.  Any suggestion?

Thanks!
Jim

--